Monday, December 20, 2010

2010 CHRISTMAS CARDS

2010 is the year to clear out or pack up the old, refresh and reorganize my surroundings and put my house (it is not a home) up for rent or for sale. For months I have been going through old papers and books and trying to figure out what to do with items that have mostly Family or sentimental value. The Family materials will mostly go to son Geb and I guess I will retain the rest. Ah, storage. I have thrown out scores of trash bags of these materials and having been mostly diligent in this effort have kept the garbage folks busy in Richardson…

Among the items I pondered was about ten years of those extra Christmas cards – you know those few left over from each year. Like most folks I didn’t have the heart to throw them away rather put them away for another year in case I needed extras. Well I always ended up with a surplus every year and this year I counted about 150 cards of assorted Christmas Greetings in my stash. Most of them are pathetically and archaically dated to previous style and sentiments, but all wishing generic Holiday Greetings or a blatant and now seemingly politically incorrect Merry Christmas!

In these austere times the decision was quickly made to use them! Along with some really neat Sierra Club cards I also had some ghastly blue to turquoise cards with flashy silver glitter with the hope for Peace properly emblazoned. While I embrace the sentiment I can’t figure out why I bought them unless they were all that were left that year. All those cards were sent this year and I am sure that it had some folks scratching their heads. At any rate, whatever the response, it was my way to say hello and express my gratitude to those folks for being my Friend and sincerely wishing them holiday greetings and my hopes for a great 2011.

My 2010 Christmas will find me once again in Canada with Friends but also wondering if there will be a repeat of last week’s disastrous snow storm that paralyzed southern Ontario and especially that section of the 402 near Sarnia. It was a parking lot where snow plows feared to tread (too dangerous) and where food and supplies had to be air dropped and then 150 occupants of the stranded and frozen in 360 trucks and autos evacuated by the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) on snowmobiles. The others decided to wait out the storm in their cars/trucks in the subzero weather? The Canadian Government declared that portion of highway 402 a national disaster area. It was a miracle that there was no loss of life on that highway and, yes, unless I was in some big self-contained rig with heat, shower and all the comforts of home, I would have opted for that snowmobile ride out.

Well, we’re not going to get caught in any repeat of that storm as we are flying directly into London, Ontario. We hope not to draw some crop duster though the Canadian pilots do generally accommodate worrisome Americans by engaging those long, barely descending landing patterns though that is surely not the case in Europe (price of fuel – ya ken).

So anticipating being out of pocket – I have been warned not to turn on my cell phone when out of country – for the Christmas Holiday I wanted to again reiterate especially to those folks that follow Might of Right a safe holiday and a prosperous new year. You are the reason I write this blog as you give me my voice.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot and, aye, for auld lang syne and remember Ye nivver dee'd o winter yit. So, what are ye going to do for Hogmanay?

A Blythe Yule, Aye

Ned Buxton

No comments: